We offer a 30-credit-hour MSM-Finance program that can be completed in only two semesters (fall and spring). A set of core courses builds a strong foundation and students can choose from several exciting electives. We will also offer the flexibility of staying longer to take additional electives and choose a capstone project.*
Thus, a student can set the pace with which he/she moves through the program to suit his/her own professional development goal.
MSFI 401 - Financial Orientation
All entering MSM-Finance students will have to take the mandatory preparatory/refresher course before the first semester begins. This course will cover basic topics in statistics, financial accounting, and in financial management, so that students can hit the road running with the Finance Core courses in the first semester.
The Finance Core provides students with the tools and techniques that serves to build a strong foundation for a career in finance. These are:
- MSFI 404 – Financial Modeling
- MSFI 421 – Fundamental Analysis of Companies and Industries
- MSFI 429 – Investment Management
- MSFI 430 – Derivatives and Risk Management
- MSFI 435 – Empirical Finance
- MSFI 436 – Individual, Team and Career Development
Students have the opportunity to choose from the following electives to develop expertise in a particular area of interest [broadly, corporate finance or risk management]:
- MSFI 428 – Financial Strategy and Value Creation
- MSFI 431 – Fixed Income Markets and Their Derivatives
- MSFI 432 – Corporate Risk Management
- MSFI 433 – Quantitative Risk Modeling
- MSFI 440 – Advanced Corporate Finance
- BAFI 420 – Health Finance
- BAFI 444 – Entrepreneurial Finance
- BAFI 450 – Mergers and Acquisitions
- BAFI 480 – International Financial Management
- Any other elective that furthers a student's expertise in his/her chosen area, as approved by the Program Faculty Director
In addition, students choosing to stay beyond 2 semesters can enroll in our Capstone Courses. Students choosing to stay beyond 2 semesters can also apply for valuable internship opportunities on a competitive basis. Read more about the capstone courses from the faculty who teach the courses.
The preparatory/refresher course (MSFI 401) must be taken in the orientation period before the first fall semester, and the Finance Core courses must be taken in the first fall semester.
The following are a few sample plans of study beyond the first fall semester:
- Take 12 credit hours of electives in the first spring semester and graduate
- Take 12 credit hours of electives in the first spring semester and 9 credit hours of electives (including a Capstone Course) in the second fall semester, and graduate with additional departmental certification.
- Take 9 credit hours of electives in the first spring semester, 9 credit hours of electives (including a Capstone Course) in the second fall semester, 6 more credit hours of electives in the second spring semester and graduate with additional departmental certification.
Note: The additional departmental certification is available upon successful completion of 39 credit hours in the program that includes a Capstone Course in the second fall semester.
Review the general bulletin for more information.
*contingent upon obtaining all of the necessary approvals