As a former strategic consultant, investment banker, public company CFO and private equity business owner, Scott Fine understands value creation as advisor, manager and owner. That background guides his research, working to answer several key questions. How does value get created? How is a firm’s financial strategy and corporate strategy linked? How has the shift in company decision making power from corporate owners to private equity and hedge fund investors altered the way value is created and distributed? Scott’s research is focused on developing classroom materials, including case studies and internal papers addressing these questions.
MBA, Stanford University, 1986
BA, Cornell University, 1982
Interests and Courses
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
Academic and Professional Activities
- Mentor, Provost Scholars Program, 2013 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, ACG M&A Competition, 2012 - 2013
- Faculty Advisor, Deloitte Consulting "Battle of Oho" Competition, 2012
- Committee Member, Undergraduate Student Life Committee, 2012 - Present
- Board Member, Mars Electric, Inc., Willoughby, OH, 2012 - Present
- Board Member, Chautauqua Hotel Company, Chautauqua, NY, 2012 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, CFA Global Research Challenge, 2011 - 2012
- Faculty Advisor, ACG Cup, 2011
- Faculty Mentor, CFA Global Research Challenge, 2010 - 2011
- Faculty Mentor, ACG Competition, 2010
- Committee Chair, Faculty Senate Finance Committee, 2010 - Present
- Faculty Mentor, CFA Global Research Challenge, 2009 - 2010
- Committee Chair, Curriculum Committee, 2009
- Committee Chair, PT MBA Curriculum Redesign Committee, 2009
- Committee Chair, UT Austin Case Competition, 2009
- Committee Member, Curriculum Committee, 2008 - Present
- Committee Member, Council, 2008 - 2011
- Program Director, MS Finance Program, 2008 - 2010
- Committee Member, Entrepreneurship Education Consortium, 2008 - 2009
- Board Member, MOCA Cleveland, 2008 - 2012
- Committee Member, Cleveland Foundation Promoting Philanthropy Committee, 2008 - 2009
- Board Member, Hospice of the Western Reserve, 2008 - 2009
- Committee Chair, Moreland Courts Condominium Association, 2008
- Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award, (2010).
- Carl F. Wittke Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence (Nominee), (2010).
- Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award Nominee, Weatherhead School of Management. (2009).
- J. Bruce Jackson, M.D., Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring, Case Western Reserve University. (2009).
- Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award Nominee, Weatherhead School of Management. (2008).
- Carl F. Wittke Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence (Nominee), (2008).